Work In Progress - Airfix 1/72 Vampire

Another one of my current WIPs is this little 1/72 Vampire T.11 from Airfix - one of my 'Fathers day builds' (purchased from the D.H. Museum near the M25) . It's a smashing little kit this, I'm really enjoying it. 

I've had no real issue with it, other than I forgot to add the boom between the wing halves before I glued them together. Thankfully I did glue the wings in stages, which meant that I could insert the booms into the rear by prising the trailing edges apart. However the flip side of that was I couldn't follow the instructions and add the legs to the booms before it all went together... 

You can add them after assembly like I am, but you have to trim a little of the U/C bay out to be able to insert them - you live and learn.

The mad RAF day-glo orange strips are all decals. I was amazed at how well they performed and the only issue I had was a little wrinkling on the leading edges - entirely of my own making, as I didn't force them down enough.

They took me about a week to do, doing a few here and using lots of Mircosol and Mirocset to help bed them down. 

I'm currently going through the process of adding the undercarriage, using my preferred method of attaching with superglue. 

Jobs left to do are: 

  • Finish touch-ups with Hataka B149 Luminous Orange & paint the landing light
  • Clearcoat decals (I've just removed one with my thumb!)
  • Finish undercarriage (don't forget to add the underwing serials to the gear doors!)
  • Satin coat
  • Future canopy
  • Grime wash - maybe
If you get a chance to get one I'd go for it. 

Cheers! 

Currently listening too: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completed Build - PM Model 1/72 Spitfire mk.Vb Floatplane (With a Twist)

Airfix 1/72 H.P. Jetstream - Completed build.

Completed Build - Airfix 1/72 Gloster Javelin F.A.W.9R